Physiotherapy / फ़िज़ीओथेरपी
Reachable(8:30am- 4pm) at 011-2396621-27,Ext- 448(dept)
The Physiotherapy department of St. Stephen's Hospital is among one of the first physiotherapy departments established in Delhi and presently one of the leading rehabilitation centre providing comprehensive services for inpatients and outpatients.
We are a team of highly qualified and committed physiotherapists dedicated to help you gain full functional independence. All our are treatment plans are evidence based and updated periodically. We understand the importance of humane, compassionate care and resonate the same in all spheres of our treatment. On the same lines our clinic maintains calm, serene ambience and well trained staff to help you have a favourable treatment experience and is fully equipped with latest electrotherapy equipment, rehabilitation gymnasium, neuro/ortho assessment room and personalised treatment rooms.
For the last 20 years, we have a full fledged 6-months internship program for bachelor of physiotherapy students from different recognised universities and also conduct clinical postings for the same under trained and experienced faculty in different areas of physiotherapy.
Contact the physiotherapy department (Extn 448) for further information on any of our services or to make a booking for consultation.
Doctor’s referral from multispeciality departments are entertained in our department. You do not always need to be referred by your doctor to access our services, although we do prefer to communicate with them in managing your treatment.
Special services available
- Consultation regarding ergonomics of work place and posture to avoid chronic pain from poor posture at work
- Pilates classes
- Antenatal and postnatal classes
- Soft tissue manipulation
- Sports Taping
PHYSIOTHERAPY SPECIALISED UNITS
This is split into the two different areas of inpatient and outpatient care.Inpatients deals with the acute care of injuries primarily due to trauma. The service involves rehabilitation following elective surgery including Total Knee Replacement, Total Hip Replacement, ACL reconstruction, shoulder surgery and spinal surgery etc.Outpatients consists of general musculoskeletal outpatients referred from the orthopaedic team. Physiotherapists are also involved in
- Hand physiotherapy
- Post fracture physiotherapy
- Back & neck conditions physiotherapy
- Cervical &lumbar spondylitis rehabilitation
- Neuralgia & neuritis therapy
- Post Joint Replacement rehabilitation
- Physiothearapy for strained tendons & ligaments
- Post Muscle injury and tear rehabilitation
- Post Tendon transfers rehabilitation
In our rehabilitation consultations we include advice/ exercise for prevention and recurrence of injury once patient is at home.
Areas of speciality include:
- Post Polio Residual Paralysis-the department runs special programme in collaboration with the International Rotary club, the department closely works and is a part of rehabilitation team with Dr. Mathew Varghese
- Treatment of hand injury post plastic surgery in conjunction with Hand Therapy and functional therapy(Crush injuries, Tendon transfers )
- Fitting of specific splints and braces
- Gait Training
Injury to muscles, tendons, ligaments, joints and bones can occur while playing sports.Continuing to exercise post injury is not advisable and you need to consult a therapist to prevent further injury. We undertake goal oriented and sports specific rehab.
Gait and orthotic service
This service manages patients from Rheumatology, Pain clinic and Diabetic foot clinic, Medicine and Surgery and Dermatology. Rehabilitation service is also provided for admitted Rheumatology patients.
Areas of speciality
- Gait assessment
- Orthotic & Prosthetic advice and training
- General musculoskeletal initiatives
- Arthritis assessment and rehabilitation
- Biomechanical evaluation including orthotic assessment and provision
- Back to fitness' programme
is provided for referral cases from ENT and Neurology for dizziness and vestibular dysfunction management(BPPV).
BOWEL,BLADDER, PELVIC FLOOR & PREGNANCY AND POST PREGNANCY HEALTH
This is predominantly an outpatient service for patients referred by Urologists, Gynaecologists, Colorectal & General Surgeons.
Conditions referred and treated include:
- Stress urinary incontinence, over active bladder and urge incontinence
- Bowel urgency and incontinence
- Difficulty with bowel evacuation
- Post prostatectomy incontinence
- Neurogenic bladder and bowel problems
- Pelvic pain
- Posture care and feeding positions
- Antenatal and Postnatal care
- Uterine and rectal prolapse
- Spincter laxity
- Management of pelvic floor muscle dysfunction
- Biofeedback in order to teach accurate exercises
- Electrical stimulation for those who cannot perform the exercises
- Advice and coping strategies including bladder training
The neurosurgical physiotherapy team specialises in the assessment and physical rehabilitative management of neurosurgical conditions such as post- traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, brain haemorrhage, brain and spinal cord tumours and spinal surgeries.
The aim is to increase patient independence and function and give proper home programme and follow up advice at discharge. All care is provided in conjunction with the neurosurgical team. In addition, the physiotherapy team assess and treats critically ill patients post transfer from the Intensive Care Unit.
Areas of Speciality include:
- Acute respiratory management
- Neurological assessment
- Neurological rehabilitation
- Facial palsy rehabilitation
The Neurology service has round the clock staff providing inpatient and outpatient services. The inpatient service provides management for a wide variety of neurological conditions admitted under the care of the Neurologist such as
- Stroke (or mini stroke)
- Brain injury and tumour
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Falls and damage to the nervous system
- Paralysis ,Paraplegia, Quadriplegia, Facial palsy
- Cerebral Palsy
- Infantile hemiplegia
- Erb’s palsy rehabilitation
- Cervicogenic headaches etc.
Physiotherapy for maintaining lung capacity in disorders such as chronic bronchitis, asthma, emphysema, cystic fibrosis and a wide range of lung and breathing problems.
INPATIENT PHYSIOTHERAPY SERVICES
On-call service is offered to acutely unwell patients. Weekend service is also offered to respiratory patients where appropriate.
Intensive Care Physiotherapy Service
Physiotherapy Department has a dedicated Intensive Care Service which provides acute respiratory and rehabilitative care to patients in the General, Neonatal, Cardiothoracic, Surgical, Neurosurgical Intensive Care units.
Chest Physiotherapy Service
- Cardio Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Chest Physiotherapy
- Covid & Post Covid Rehabilitation
- Airway clearance and exercise prescription
Post Surgery Physiotherapy
The physiotherapy department provides an inpatient service for post operative patients. The service manages patients in the general intensive care setting and provides rehabilitation where appropriate. Specialities include:
- Post Tracheostomy
- Post Ear, Nose and Throat surgery care (ENT)
- Post Renal surgery care
- Post Upper and Lower Abdominal surgery care
- Post Maxillofacial surgery rehabilitation
- Post CTVS surgery rehabilitation
- Hand therapy
- Post burn rehabilitation
- Complex regional pain syndrome
- Paediatric physiotherapy
- Elderly care( Geriatric)