Dates, Personalities and Events which stand out in the history of St. Stephen's Hospital
Mrs. Priscilla Winter
Mrs. Priscilla Winter came to Calcutta at the age of 16. It was her pioneering work that established the now well known St. Stephen's Hospital from the humblest of beginnings.
Mrs. Winter started her medical work on the banks of the river Yamuna with a box of medicines and simple remedies.
Mrs. Winter called in the help of others through what was known as "White Ladies Association" to run a small dispensary in the city.
A house was rented and a woman worker engaged to manage the dispensary, to train nurses and to visit women in their houses. At that time the Punjab Government was giving Rs. 410/- a year for medicines and the Delhi Municipality was contributing Rs. 75/- a month in scholarships for training women as nurses.
Dr. Bose, a male doctor started visiting the hospital and giving valuable advice as there was no other doctor and not even a trained nurse at that time. It was a great loss when he died the following year.
Mrs. Winter died at the age of 39. It was in her memory that a plot of land in Chandni Chowk was bought on which was built a small 50 bed hospital over-looking Queen's Gardens now known as Company Bagh.
St. Stephen's Hospital, the first hospital for women and children in Delhi was opened at Chandni Chowk, by Lady Dufferin.
Mr. Winter died. In memory of both Robert and Priscilla Winter an extension was built to the hospital, a three storeyed block overlooking Chandni Chowk.
Dr. Jenny Muller
Dr. Jenny Muller the first full time doctor in St. Stephen's Hospital came to India and worked till 1916. It was during her time that the site on which St. Stephen's Hospital now stands was acquired and the present Maternity Wing was built.
The foundation stone of the old hospital was laid by the Countess of Minto at Tis Hazari, overlooking what was then a Police Parade Ground and now the Tis Hazari Courts. Dr. Muller said as she stood on the building site and watched the walls rise, "I am sure I am building too big a hospital and am wasting the money so generously donated".
Sister Alice Wilkinson
Sister Alice Wilkinson arrived in India from from Britain. The nurses Training School of the hospital was started in her time. She became Nursing Superintendent and was responsible for raising the standard of nursing not only in St. Stephen's Hospital but in whole of India being founder member of the Trained Nurse's Association of India where she worked as its Secretary until she left India in 1948. She continued working in the S.P.G. House in London until her 90th birthday when she retired and returned to India to spend her last days here. She was active till then in bringing together countless nurses in India and abroad. She died in St. Stephen's Hospital at the age of 92 on 15th May 1967.
The new hospital in Tis Hazari was formally opened. The OPD had been opened six months earlier.
Dr. Helen Franklin
Dr. Helen Franklin joined the staff and worked in St. Stephen's Hospital until 1920 when she became Vice-Principal and Professor of Surgery in the Lady Hardinge Medical College, Continuing to give part time services to St. Stephen's Hospital. In 1937 she left Lady Hardinge Hospital, took up full time work in Ranchi and later in St. Stephen's Hospital for a yrar till her retirement in 1945. The Nurse's Hostel and Doctors' Quarters were built in 1913.
The Cottage Wards
The Cottage Wards were built, some of which were demolished to be replaced by the private wing in 1969.
Dr. Alison Barnaby
Dr. Alison Barnaby joined the staff. She was on the staff until 1951 and again for a short term in 1956. She is remembered by many as the 'Safed Bal Wali Daktar', a much loved and respected doctor.
Dr. Charlotte Houtton
Dr. Charlotte Houtton came to India. She was the Medical Superintendent in 1933 in place of Dr. Houlton. She was a member of the U.S.P.G., and was involved in the planning of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences. In 1941 she was awarded the Kaiser-i-Hind for here services in India and on her retirement in 1961 was awarded the M.B.E by the British Government. She visited the hospital in 1969 and in 1976 came for the opening of the new general hospital. She was known far beyond the limits of Delhi specially for her Obstetrics and Gynaecological skill and very many of her old patients still remember her with gratitude.
Dr. Alison Barnaby
Dr. Ruth Roseveare joined the staff in 1946. She left in 1967 to become Head of the Community of St. Stephen's.
Dr. Lucy Oommen
Dr. Lucy Oommen took over charge as the first Indian Medical Superintendent of the hospital from Dr. Morris, having been a member of the medical staff since December, 1942.
Miss Alice Wilkinson
The foundation stone of the present Nurses Training School building was laid by Miss Alice Wilkinson who was the Nursing Superintendent from 1916 to 1938.
Dr. A N Jha, Lt. Governor of Delhi
The foundation stone of the New Wing of the Maternity Block was laid by Dr. A N Jha, Lt. Governor of Delhi.
he new wing of the Maternity Block
The new wing of the Maternity Block was opened by Mrs. Indira Gandhi, Prime Minister of India.
The St. Stephen's Hospital Society
The St. Stephen's Hospital Society was registered under the Societies Registration Act.
The land adjacent to the Hospital up to Bouleward Road, 2.7 acres, was acquired from Government.
New General Hospital
The foundation stone of the new General Hospital was laid by Shri V V Giri, President of India.
The new General Hospital
The new General Hospital opened by Mrs. Indira Gandhi, Prime Minister of India. Dr. Morris who was present at the inauguration function was given a special award by the Prime Minister of India being one of the two awards instituted by the Government of India in the international year of the women to foreign nationals, in recognition of their outstanding service.
Dr. Oommen was awarded "Padma Shri" at the investiture ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhawan in recognition of her devoted and selfless service to the hospital and to the community.
Construction of 64 dwelling units
Construction of 64 dwelling units for essential staff of the hospital began at 4, Rajpur Road.
Dr. Savitri Kavan
Dr. Savitri Kavan, Deputy Medical Superintendent, passed away after serving the hospital for 29 years.
The new OPD Extension
The new OPD Extension of the General Hospital was opened by Mr. C M Stephen, Minster of Communications.
Housing Complex at 4, Rajpur Road, with 52 dwelling units completed.
Community Health Care Centre
The Community Health Care Centre inaugurated by Shri Jag Mohan, Lt. Governor, at Nandnagri Resettlement Colony.
Allotment of 3 acres of land adjacent to the hospital along the Boulevard Road..
Completion of 19 additional rooms
Completion of 19 additional rooms for private patients and additional accommodation for doctors and nurses.
Centenary Celebrations conclude
Centenary Celebrations conclude; Release of Centenary Commemorative Postage Stamp by Shri. Rajiv Gandhi, Prime Minister of India..
Dr. J Jacob
Dr. J Jacob took over as director..
The new Mother & Child Block
The new Mother & Child Block which was built with a generous grant from the Overseas Development Administration of British Government, was inaugurated by Mr. Madhav Rao Sindhia, Minister for Railways.
Dr. J Jacob
Dr. J Jacob retired and Dr. Mathew Varghese took over as Director..
MRI Centre was inaugurated by Mrs. Sheila Dikshit, Chief Minister of Delhi..
Paediatric and Neurosurgery ICU
Paediatric and Neurosurgery Intensive Care Units were commissioned.
Thalassemia Day Care Centre
Thalassemia Day Care Centre was inaugurated by Mrs. Sheila Dikshit, Chief Minister of Delhi.
First kidney transplant
The first kidney transplant at St Stephen's Hospital was successfully performed by the Departments of Transplant Surgery and Nephrology.
Outpatient registration and pharmacy modules
Outpatient registration and pharmacy modules of the new Hospital Information Software were made operational.
Dr. Loocy Oommen Mother and Child Block
Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam, President of India, renamed the mother and child block as "Dr. Loocy Oommen Mother and Child Block".
Dr. Mathew Varghese's
Dr. Mathew Varghese's tenure as director ended and Dr. Sudhir Joseph took over as Director.
Rt. Rev Karam Masih
Rt. Rev Karam Masih tenure as Chairmen ended and Rt. Rev. Sunil Kumar Singh took over as Chairmen.